If you have straight hair or curly frizzy hair that does its own thing, you probably dream about lovely waves or curls. No matter what type of hair you have, it is possible to have lovely curls. However, there are so many tools available now, it is difficult to even know where to begin. You hear of curling irons, curling tongs, curling wands, even curlers. Which ones are best? What is the difference between any of them? Should you buy a curling iron or curling wand?
If you are looking for a new curling iron or curling wand, you will probably be surprised at the number and variety available. Rather than visit many sites and read reviews, you should visit one site that can give you all the information you need. A site that covers both curling irons and curling wands is hh2010.org
A curling iron is designed to produce ringlets. You can tell a curling iron as it has a clasp or clamp for your hair. It is designed to be used upright, with the cord hanging down.
- These heat up fairly quickly and can have one or more heat settings.
- The size of the curl is dependent on the size of the barrel.
- The iron can be made from metal (cheapest), ceramic, tourmaline, or a mix of ceramic and tourmaline.
- More expensive models will protect the hair from the heat better.
- You can buy curling irons with interchangeable barrels so you can have different size curls.
- Curls look better and smoother when done on a curling iron.
- It is possible for your hair to get caught on the clasp so you need to be careful, especially when you are new to using your iron.
A curling wand doesn’t have a clasp so is just a barrel. A wand is designed to give you natural-looking waves.
- Curling wands heat up very fast.
- Unlike a curling iron, the barrel size is not the same at both ends. It tapers to a smaller end. This means the wave itself goes from bigger to smaller.
- Curls are smoother as there is no clamp across the hair as with the curling iron.
- As there is no clasp, you manually wind your hair along the barrel and then hold it in place. This can be very fiddly and some people don’t really master this skill.
- It can be difficult to wind all your hair around the slim barrel of a curling wand if it is very long.
- Works well on shorter hair.
- Curls last longer.
- You can curl hair quicker with a curling wand, once you have the knack.
- A curling wand gives a more natural wavy style.
Which is Better?
There is really no answer to this question. Both give great curls but they are designed slightly differently. A lot of it is personal preference. Some people struggle to use one or the other. Others find that their hair curls better with one or the other.
When you go to your hair salon, do they use an iron or a wand? Ask your hair stylist which they prefer. Also ask if they can recommend one or the other, knowing your type of hair and the way you like to style it.
If you are looking to curl your hair, you don’t just have to choose between curling irons or wands anymore. There are many very effective tools that you can also look at. For example, you might want to look at the Speed Waver, which is good for giving you waves as opposed to curls. You could also consider one of the new curling machines, where strands of your hair are sucked up into the machine and come out perfectly curled. These can be time-consuming but are great for those who struggle using irons or wands.
As you have seen, the difference between the curling iron and curling wand is the curl they produce. Yes, they may look slightly different and can even be used differently, but the end result is what you should be considering. If you only want one, think of the hairstyle you wish to achieve. However, you may think that considering they are not that expensive to buy, it is a good idea to have both.